Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Longfellow Grill

Longfellow Grill in Minneapolis is our go-to dinner and brunch destination lately. Even though they don't take reservations and we sometimes have to wait awhile for a table, I am in love with this place (thankfully they do let you call ahead to get on the list!).

Longfellow is located just off the River Road on Lake St in Minneapolis, and just happens to be within walking distance to my brother & sister-in-law's house. I didn't even know the restaurant existed until they moved in to the neighborhood but am thankful they did!



Despite the fact that I am just now getting to the most important part - THE FOOD - do not be fooled! Even if this place was a dump (it's not), it would totally be worth it for the menu. My absolute favorite is the walleye burrito, made with fried walleye, lettuce, tomato, Tillamook cheddar, and the best from-scratch tartar sauce I've ever had. I am currently on a fish-restricted diet right now (only one meal of walleye a month) and I save it up just for this burrito. It's SO good! (also, it is only technically on their lunch menu, not dinner, but I've ordered it for dinner approximately 15 times now and nobody cares so yeah, don't be afraid to order it if it's after 4pm).

What else is good? Our favorite appetizer are tempura-battered green beans with plum dipping sauce. My husband and I can finish a basket of those in minutes. It's actually inspired us to try tempura frying basically every type vegetable we get this summer through our CSA. My husband is also a huge fan of their Tennessee bbq pork sandwich. He is a bit of a bbq sandwich connoisseur and loves this one. With your sandwich, you get french fries (awesome) or sweet potato fries (also awesome). Oh and the side salad is so good that I actually order it instead of fries sometimes just because it tastes good.

Finally, a discussion of Longfellow Grill would not be complete without mentioning their awesome brunch (some of the highlights from the brunch menu are also available all day long). They have amazing, huge waffles and pancakes, and many of their omelette and scrambler combos are unique but perfect. In any case, you have not lived until you have attempted to eat their blueberry waffles or french toast.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I haven't tried the walleye burrito yet, but now I have yet another reason to get on that. My most common choice is the turkey burger. And I have a lot of breakfast meetings there (I can walk there), where I keep it pretty traditional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see this? http://east-lake.net/post/676043359

    ReplyDelete