Sunday, February 7, 2010

real mail

That's right, the real thing! Those unexpected pieces of paper from actual human beings who know me and care about me. And packages - those are even better! Receiving a letter or note from someone can improve my entire day, or even week.

Take yesterday, for example. For various reasons, the past week has been really awful for me. One of the worst I can remember. And then yesterday, I checked the mailbox and there was a small package...for me...from my cousin (who is like my sister)...with some of my favorite cookies from this small bakery in Duluth! There was also a little note from her, saying she knew I was having a bad week. Even though the cookies were awesome, I probably would have been just as excited about the note.

Obviously, cookies are above and beyond the call of duty. But with the way our culture is now, any type of handwritten item means SO much. Yes, I love getting personal emails, but it just isn't the same. There's something about the randomness, that sense of anticipation when I walk out to the mailbox, and then that sense of true connection with the sender, that email will just never match.

And you know what else is awesome about real mail? Stationery! I have loved stationery since I was a kid and I would send letters to my friends from camp after the end of the summer. Some of my favorite letters have actually been on notebook paper or post-it notes, but stationery always makes things feel special. And it's pretty. And it's art. And you get to express yourself. And sometimes it comes with matching envelopes - and who doesn't love things that match??

So in honor of this post, I am making a resolution to send more real mail. If other people love it even half as much as I do, it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment